All patients should expect to receive health care with care and respect, without discrimination.

You are also expected to behave politely towards staff and others.

How to give feedback, get information or make a complaint:

  • If you have a health problem that you don’t think is being sorted out, ask to speak with the Nursing Unit Manager at your centre.
  • If your problem is unresolved, you can call Justice Health NSW's Patient Health Enquiry Line (option 5 from the yard phone).
  • If still unresolved, you can write to Justice Health NSW's Chief Executive. Health staff can give you the address.
  • You can also ring the Corrective Services NSW Support Line (option 2 from the yard phone), who will pass it on to relevant Justice Health NSW staff.